Immersion is the best way to learn any language, especially English. American English is filled with idioms and jargon, more so than other languages. You won’t be able to learn all the peculiar turns of phrase until you try living the language. If you have a choice between a casual English class and an intensive English class, enroll in the latter.
Your school may have a writing center than can help you improve your writing ability. They will review your essays with you, pointing out errors and awkward phrases. Going over your writing with a native speaker is one of the best ways to enhance your writing skills.
Many colleges offer on-campus intensive English training, sometimes during the summer and sometimes during the academic year. In addition, there are several independent proprietary organizations who offer intensive English language courses.
Both the campus-based and stand-alone English as a Second Language programs charge fees for their services. Financial aid is not available for any intensive English language programs. You will find that it is significantly less expensive to study English in your home country than in the US.
- ABCisland offers 2-52 week intensive English courses at the University of Central Florida (UCF), the only public university in Florida accredited by the Commission of English Accreditation. They also offer a variety of travel and recreation programs, in addition to preparation for the TOEFL, TOEIC, SAT, GMAT, and GRE.
- A.C.E. Language Institutes
- A.C.E. Language Institutes offers intensive English classes in the US and Australia.
- Bridge International School
- Conversa Language Center
- EF International Language Schools
- EF provides intensive English language courses and exam preparation courses for the TOEFL. For more information, call 1-800-992-1892 or 1-617-746-1700.
- ELS Language Centers
- English Cafe Australia
- English Cafe Australia provides information about English colleges and courses in Australia and English practice activities for ESL students.
- This site includes a directory of English programs around the world, listing more than 580 schools in the US, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia. It also includes chatrooms and message boards for discussing ESL study.
- International Center in New York
- The International Center in New York provides English language training and programs in American culture. Their training programs include specialized one-to-one tutorials, English courses and practical workshops. for more information, call 1-212-255-9555, fax 1-212-255-0177, write to The International Center in New York, 50 West 23rd Street 7th Fl., New York, New York 10010-5205, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Language Institute of Seattle
- ILI offers small class sizes, flexible scheduling, and personalized intensive English language training. For more information, call 1-206-682-7080, fax 1-206-621-7161, write to International Language Institute of Seattle, 1218 Third Avenue, Suite 508, Seattle, WA 98101, USA, or send email to email@example.com.
- ISES International: Online Guides for Study Abroad
- This site provides a directory of ESL and intensive English programs in the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand.
- Kaplan International Colleges
- Kaplan International Colleges (formerly ASPECT) is a leading provider of intensive English language programs worldwide. With more than 30 year-round language schools in the USA, Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom and Ireland, Kaplan International Colleges offers students the widest selection of study locations in English-speaking countries. Programs are particularly beneficial for students seeking academic preparation and English language courses prior to enrolling in a university or college. Kaplan International Colleges also offers university placement services, work/study programs, high school exchange programs and other services to complement ESL courses. The Kaplan International Colleges web site (www.kaplaninternational.com) offers information on study locations worldwide as well as course details.
- Shane Global Village English Centers
- Shane Global Village English Centers offers ESL and EFL courses, activities and homestay services. They are located in 11 different cities in Honolulu, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. Programs range from beginner to TOEIC, TOEFL, Cambridge prep., Business English IELTS and CELTA. For more information, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Univ. of Arizona’s Center for English as a Second Language (CESL)
- Univ. of Northern Iowa’s Culture and Intensive English Program (CIEP)
- CIEP is an intensive English language program designed to prepare students for academic work at the undergraduate or graduate degree level. The classroom work focuses on the development of English reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. Class size is limited to 12 students.
- Vancouver English Centre
- Vancouver English Centre English offers language courses for ESL students. VEC’s English language programs have 16 levels that help students learn English quickly. VEC is one of the largest language schools in Canada.
- Wall Street Institute
- The Wall Street Institute School of English provides personalized English language instruction to individuals, businesses, governments, and schools. Their customized programs allow the student to develop English skills at their own pace and schedule. The Wall Street Institute offers programs in more than 250 centers located in over 15 countries. They provide English immersion experiences in the US, UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and Malta. The Wall Street Institute web site (www.wallstreetinstitute.com) also offers an online interactive test of English skills.
- World Learning Inc.
- World Learning offers intensive English language courses in the United States. There are classes on campuses in California, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, South Carolina, and Texas. For more information, call 1-802-257-7751, fax 1-802-258-3248, write to World Learning Inc., PO Box 676, Brattleboro, VT 05302-0676, or send email to email@example.com.