You may find some of the following publications helpful. Additional references can be found in the bibliography.
Before you order a copy, check whether your library has a copy. The USA Embassy in your country may have copies in their library. Most USA embassies and consulates can provide basic information about studying in the US.
- MPOWER Financing’s Student Guide for International Students – Download Your Free Copy
- Carol Weeg, Ellen Stern and Jim Bauer, Funding for USA Study – A Guide for International Students and Professionals, Institute for International Education (IIE), Princeton, New Jersey, 1996. ISBN 0-87206-219-8 ($39.95 + $4 shipping in USA or $16 shipping to other countries). 462 pages. This book provides information about financial assistance for international students to study in the US, including more than 600 sources of funding for international students (mostly for graduate and postdoctoral programs, but some for undergraduate students). To order a copy, call 1-301-617-7804 or 1-800-445-0443, fax 1-301-953-2838, write to IIE Books, PO Box 371, Annapolis Junction, MD 20701-0371, or send email to email@example.com. Payment should be by Visa, Mastercard, or check in USA dollars drawn on a USA bank. For more information about IIE programs, call 1-212-984-5330 or 1-212-883-8200, or write to USA Student Programs, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017-3580.
- College Board, International Student Handbook of USA Colleges, 1999. ISBN 0-87447-593-7 ($21.95). 330 pages. This book provides information about more than 3,000 colleges and universities, including average and minimum TOEFL scores, required admissions tests, college costs, availability of financial aid for international students, and ESL programs. You can order the book for $21.95 plus $8.31 for overseas shipping from College Board Publications, Box 886, New York, NY 10101-0886 USA, fax 1-212-713-8143. If you are in the US, you can call 1-800-323-7155 to place an order.
- Marguerite J. Dennis, Complete College Financing Guide 1995, 3rd Edition, Barron’s Educational Series, Inc., Hauppauge, New York, 1995. ISBN 0-81-201-635-1 ($17.50 plus $2.32 shipping in the USA or $15.69 for overseas shipping). 282 pages. One chapter is devoted to funding for international students wishing to study in the US. To order a copy, call 1-800-645-3476 or write to Barron’s Educational Series, 250 Wireless Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788.
- Gregory A. Barnes, The International Student’s Guide to the American University, National Textbook Company, Lincolnwood, IL, 1993. $12.95. 208 pages. Includes a chapter on financial aid.
- A Selected List of Fellowship Opportunities and Aids to Advanced Education for USA Citizens and Foreign Nationals, National Science Foundation, Washington, DC, 1993.
- Carlotta R. Mills, Foundation Grants to Individuals, 9th edition, 1994. (Updated annually.) This book is published by the Foundation Center, and includes some scholarships and fellowships available to international students. You can order the book for $55 plus $11 for overseas shipping from Foundation Center, 79 5th Avenue, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10003. (The shipping charge is $4.50 for destinations in the US.)
- Peterson’s Scholarships for Study in the USA and Canada, 1998. ISBN 1-56079-948-X ($21.95). 421 pages. This books lists more than 1,100 non-school sources of money for undergraduate and graduate international students. Awards are indexed according to award name, sponsor name, academic field, career goals, and other characteristics. To order a copy, call 1-800-338-3282 or 1-609-243-9111, fax 1-609-243-9150, or visit the Peterson’s bookstore.
- W. Wickremasinghe, Scholarships and Grants for Study or Research in the USA, 2nd edition, American Collegiate Service, Houston, TX, 1989, 151 pages, ISBN 0-940937-01-8. This book contains a compilation of financial aid opportunities available from colleges, USA foundations, and international organizations. You can order the book for $21.95 from American Collegiate Service, PO Box 442008, Houston, TX 77244. Call 1-714-493-9863 for more information.