U.S. Educational Advising Centers

Your first step should be to contact the US embassy or consulate in your country to locate the nearest US educational advising center. The educational advising centers are located in US Information Service offices, in Fulbright Commission offices, at Institute of International Education (IIE) offices, and at other locations. They provide much information and advice free of charge. They can provide profiles of US educational institutions, a review of application requirements, procedures and strategies, information about financial aid, information about standardized tests required for admission, such as the TOEFL, SAT, and GRE, information about visas, and information about adjusting to academic and cultural life in the United States. They include a reading room and an extensive library of reference materials. They offer a variety of seminars, including a pre-departure orientation session.

Educational advisors will need to know some basic information about your educational status and goals. They will need to know your grades, your intended field of study, which schools or where in the US you want to study, whether you will need financial aid, and your English language proficiency.