This section lists a few organizations that may be able to provide some information about financial aid for international students.

MPOWER Financing: International Student Loans and Scholarships
MPOWER Financing, headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with offices in New York City and Bangalore, India, is a mission-driven fintech company and provider of global educational loans. It is the only student lender in the world that leverages both overseas and USA credit data, as well as future earning potential, to serve high-promise international and DACA students. MPOWER Financing works with more than 200 top universities and colleges across the nation to provide financing to students from over 200 countries. Since 2014, it has received close to $1B in loan application volume on its platform. MPOWER Financing helps students build their credit histories and provides them with personal finance education and career support to help prepare for life after college. The team is backed by Gray Matters Capital, Breega, Potencia Ventures, Zephyr Management, Goal Structured Solutions, 1776, Village Capital, VARIV, DreamIt, Fresco, Chilango, K Street and University Ventures, as well as funds managed by Lloyd Crescendo Advisors and Community Investment Management.

NAFSA: Association of International Educators

NAFSA: Association of International Educators (previously known as the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs) is the national professional association for international educators. NAFSA promotes international educational exchange between the USA and the rest of the world. In addition to providing information about financial aid for international students and a web site for Chinese students, NAFSA’s web site provides information about the organization, electronic news for international educators, and back issues of their quarterly magazine (International Educator). NAFSA also operates the INTER-L mailing list. NAFSA does not provide any grants to international students, with the exception of two small grant programs, the ASEAN Student Assistance Awards Program (ASAAP) and the Korean Student Assistance Awards Program (KSAAP). ASAAP and KSAAP are national grants competitions for all accredited 4-year academic institutions in the USA currently enrolling students from Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Thailand – the four ASEAN countries most affected by the Asian economic crisis and Korea. There was previously a program for students from the former Soviet Union (REAP) and East Central Europe and the Baltic States (BEEP), but these programs are no longer accepting new applications. Information about ASAAP and KSAAP should be available from the international student advisor at most colleges and universities.

For more information, call 1-202-737-3699, fax 1-202-737-3657, write to NAFSA: Association of International Educators, 1307 New York Avenue, NW, Eighth Floor, Washington, DC 20005-4701, or send email to To order NAFSA publications, call 1-800-836-4994, fax 1-412-741-0609, or write to NAFSA Publications, PO Box 1020, Sewickley, PA 15143.

Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
CIEE provides assistance with study abroad programs and internships, international student identification cards, student travel services, and English as a second language instruction and testing. For more information, call 1-212-661-1414, fax 1-212-972-3231, or write to Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE), 205 E 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017.
Institute of International Education (IIE)
Founded in 1919, the IIE is the largest non-profit organization in the USA devoted to international exchange. The IIE administers the USA Fulbright program and manages more than 250 international education programs. Although the IIE assists the USA Information Agency in the administration of the graduate Fulbright Fellowships for study in the USA, international students cannot apply directly to IIE for USA Fulbright Fellowships. All international students should apply through the Fulbright Commission or USA Information Service in their home country. Their site also includes a searchable version of their scholarship books. (The full text is only available to IIE members.)For more information, write to Institute for International Education, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017-3580, call 1-212-883-8200 or 1-212-984-5412, fax 1-212-984-5452, or send email to
Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
CIES is administratively affiliated with the Institute of International Education and provides assistance with the administration of the Fulbright Program. CIES also administers the NATO Advanced Research Fellowships and Institutional Grants Program. For more information, send email or write to Council for International Exchange of Scholars, 3007 Tilden Street, NW, Suite 5L, Washington DC 20008-3009.
International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
NSERC is the Canadian equivalent of the United State’s National Science Foundation (NSF). NSERC’s programs include grants and scholarships. For more information call 1-613-995-5992, fax 1-613-943-0742, write to Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, 350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1H5, or send email to
Rotary Foundation
The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International provides grants to university students and teachers to act as “goodwill ambassadors” around the world. The Rotary Foundation also sponsors international exchanges of business and professional people, and provides provides grants to improve the quality of life around the world. An example of this is their Ambassadorial Scholarship Program. For more information about their programs, write to Rotary Foundation, 1560 Sherman Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201 or call 1-708-866-3000.
AAUW Education Foundation
The AAUW Education Foundation provides graduate fellowships to women with the equivalent of a Bachelors degree who are not citizens or permanent residents of the USA. International Fellowships support graduate students writing doctoral dissertations and postdoctoral scholars conducting research in the USA. Upon completion of studies, fellowship recipients must return to their home countries to pursue a professional career; preference will be given to applicants who can verify that they have a definite position awaiting them. Applications become available from August 1 through November 15. The deadline is December 2 (Airmail), and the 1996 fellowship stipend is $15,065. For more information write to AAUW Educational Foundation, Department 60, 2201 N. Dodge St, Iowa City, IA 52243-4030, call 1-319-337-1716, or fax 1-319-337-1204, or write to American Association of University Women, 1111 Sixteenth Street N.W., Washington, DC 20036-4873 or call 1-202-728-7603.
Support 4 Learning (UK)
The Support 4 Learning site provides information about student and graduate bank accounts and loans, updated monthly from Moneyfacts, a UK financial newsletter. There is also information on studying on benefit, which is how many students in the further education sector survive. The site is primarily focussed on the further education sector, although some of the information will be useful to university students, both UK and EC students wanting to study overseas, and overseas students wanting to study in the UK and EC. For more information about the site, please send email to Flick Harris,