Proving Non-immigrant Intent

You may need to establish that you intend to return to your home country after your studies are complete. You may need to demonstrate economic, personal, social, and cultural ties to your home country. Some of the methods of doing this include:

  • Providing a list of the names, addresses, ages, and occupations of close family members who remain in the home country.
  • Providing documentation of financial ties to the home country, such as ownership of real estate.
  • Providing evidence of job prospects in the home country, such as a letter from a potential employer.
  • Providing an explanation of why equivalent educational training is not available in your home country or as suitable.

Likewise, if you have close relatives or financial interests in the United States, you may have difficulty getting a visa. If a consular officer believes that you intend to immigrate to the US, the officer must, as a matter of law, deny the visa.

You may be required by the INS to post a Departure Bond to guarantee your departure.